Friday 11 September 2009

Carved in stone

As a child I tried on several occasions to etch out my name on large boulders and rock faces always ending up with a chalky line when I could see people like 'JAG + JO' (albeit in slightly angular font) managed to seemingly effortlessly carve the deepest letters, as if writing in butter with a hot knife.  Obviously I now no longer try to deface the natural environment but it would be nice to leave my mark.  Although in retrospect I'm glad I don't have to look back on my name in the same classy fashion as JAG + JO.

Artistic stone masonry is just amazing take the 'Seed' carved out of a piece of 300 million-year-old Cornish granite by Peter Randall-Page at the Eden Project or the works of Isamu Noguchi or Andy Goldsworthy for instance who's master-pieces have amazed visitors at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park in the past few years.  I am truly in awe of such amazing pieces of sculpture.  But honestly where do you start? I certainly don't think these guys started out by attempting to carve their name at Blackrock?

No comments: